Marlyville / Fontainebleau / Broadmoor Preservation
post-Katrina and beyond...










mold remediation

11 feb 2006

Mold Remediation: Fact vs Fiction

Mold remediation can consist merely of spraying a weak solution of chlorine bleach plus or minus a surfactant onto mold-infected surfaces.

Mold is not harmful to humans despite all the hype UNLESS you inhale large amounts of it or eat it. The spores of the mold may have toxins in them but the spores do not remain airborne. They are so heavy that they fall directly to the ground.  It is very unlikely that "sick building syndrome" has anything to do with "toxic black mold."


1.  Wear a good mask and gloves when handling mold-infested material.

2.  Eliminate mold yourself by spraying a dilute solution of chlorine bleach with or without a surfactant (Jomax) onto the surface. By using the surfactant, you can use a weaker solution of bleach which is less toxic to you.

3.  Make sure the room is well ventilated while you apply the bleach - this is critical. Bleach is more toxic than the mold itself.

How can I be sure of this information?

1. I am an Infectious Diseases subspecialist, and I heard an excellent presentation on this matter by two top scientists at LSU before Katrina.
2. I eliminated the mold from my flooded house using the steps above.

There is another newer option using a tent and chlorine gas on your home. This is effective but very expensive ($10,000 or more.)

Jim Zachary
4146 Vendome Pl

email me with any neighborhood news, editorials, or disaster preparedness